The plan the army commanders received called for twenty-five Organized Reserve Corps divisions, but the divisions activated between September 1946 and November 1947 differed somewhat from the original plans.
The First United States Army declined to support an airborne division, and the 98th Infantry Division replaced the 98th Airborne Division.
The Organized Reserves were redesignated 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps.
Recognizing the importance of the Organized Reserve to the World War II effort, Congress authorized retirement and drill pay for the first time in 1948.
In the fall of 1952 Army leaders thus proposed that the personnel from the thirteen inactivated Army Reserve divisions be assigned to strengthen the remaining twelve divisions.
To keep the unneeded fifteen Army Reserve divisions active, they were to be reorganized as training divisions to staff training centers upon mobilization or man maneuver area commands for training troops.
This organization provided a peacetime pool of trained Reserve officers and enlisted men for use in war.
The Organized Reserve included the Officers Reserve Corps, Enlisted Reserve Corps, and Reserve Officers' Training Corps.After the change, the Organized Reserve Corps had four airborne, three armored, and eighteen infantry divisions.The Second Army insisted upon the number 80 for its airborne unit because the division was to be raised in the prewar 80th Division's area, not that of the 99th.Thus the final tally of divisions formed after World War II appears to have been the 19th, 21st, and 22d Armored Divisions; the 80th, 84th, 100th and 108th Airborne Divisions; and the 76th, 77th, 79th, 81st, 83d, 85th, 87th, 89th, 98th, 90th, 91st, 94th, 95th, 96th, 97th, 102nd, 103rd, and 104th Infantry Divisions.A major problem in forming divisions and other units in the Organized Reserve Corps was adequate housing.A tentative troop basis for the Organized Reserve Corps, prepared in March 1946, outlined 25 divisions: three armored, five airborne, and 17 infantry.